RL Achievements and ToW-split 2/16/09

Non-neopets general discussion.
checkers

Post by checkers »

Woe: Back to school, new time plan and diaries, woo! But this year, not good.

Every year our School Diaries are normally diferent covers/styles, something to look forward to but this year the re-used last years diary, which I didn't like, it was too wide.
x.x Also, my time plan sucks, I have P.E. after Lunch, does anyone else think that is a bad idea? o_O..

My Timeplan:
Monday: Art, Technology || Break || French || Lunch || P.E., English
Tuesday: Geography, Maths || Break || R.E. || Lunch || Psychics, English
Wednesday: French, History || Break || Tutor Period || Lunch || P.E, Maths
Thursday: Biology, Drama/Music || Break || History || Lunch || English, Maths
Friday: I.C.T., Chemistry || Break || Geography || Lunch || French, Technology
I met my maths teacher today, Mr. Bosse, anyone know him? I know some of the members here are from Canada, he taught in quite a few schools there xD He is really strict, I mean first words:
I will take this class through hell and back if I have to, to get you to pass year 9
First off, telling students he'll take us through hell, is kind of scary o.o and, him being canadian/french, he is using american terms for things eg; Cycling -> Bike, and he thinks our levels is like America I assume since he thinks we can fail a year and be kept back, which we can't we just would move up or down a set.

I have quite a few new teachers, who from what me and my friends have seen are not that nice D: why did so many teachers get pregnant/leave?

x.x Who knew year 9 would be bad?
Fury

Post by Fury »

checkers wrote:Woe: Back to school, new time plan and diaries, woo! But this year, not good.

Every year our School Diaries are normally diferent covers/styles, something to look forward to but this year the re-used last years diary, which I didn't like, it was too wide.
x.x Also, my time plan sucks, I have P.E. after Lunch, does anyone else think that is a bad idea? o_O..

My Timeplan:
Monday: Art, Technology || Break || French || Lunch || P.E., English
Tuesday: Geography, Maths || Break || R.E. || Lunch || Psychics, English
Wednesday: French, History || Break || Tutor Period || Lunch || P.E, Maths
Thursday: Biology, Drama/Music || Break || History || Lunch || English, Maths
Friday: I.C.T., Chemistry || Break || Geography || Lunch || French, Technology
I met my maths teacher today, Mr. Bosse, anyone know him? I know some of the members here are from Canada, he taught in quite a few schools there xD He is really strict, I mean first words:
I will take this class through hell and back if I have to, to get you to pass year 9
First off, telling students he'll take us through hell, is kind of scary o.o and, him being canadian/french, he is using american terms for things eg; Cycling -> Bike, and he thinks our levels is like America I assume since he thinks we can fail a year and be kept back, which we can't we just would move up or down a set.

I have quite a few new teachers, who from what me and my friends have seen are not that nice D: why did so many teachers get pregnant/leave?

x.x Who knew year 9 would be bad?
Hahaha, year 9 is almost completely worthless, so don't worry. Nothing special happens and if you happen to do absolutely no work and make no effort, it wouldn't make much difference. The end of year 9 is when you choose your GCSE's for Year 10 but apart from that, the teacher who you quoted is just trying to scare you and/or is on a power trip. Just make sure you put all the effort in when it comes to completing your GCSE's, because they are what matter! :)

----

Well, I start college again on the 12th - I can't wait! :D
checkers

Post by checkers »

Hahaha, year 9 is almost completely worthless, so don't worry. Nothing special happens and if you happen to do absolutely no work and make no effort, it wouldn't make much difference. The end of year 9 is when you choose your GCSE's for Year 10 but apart from that, the teacher who you quoted is just trying to scare you and/or is on a power trip. Just make sure you put all the effort in when it comes to completing your GCSE's, because they are what matter! :)
Well, SATS are important..aren't they? D: I'm stuck on what to pick for my GCSE's x.x and my teacher in maths seems full of himself, apparently every school he's taught hated him, but ended up loving him o_O;

Well.. I'm trying to try better this year, because year 8 actually had no tests in it, but Year 9-11 (My final Compulsary years) all have important things in them, and I'd like to do well. I need to pick a career and work for it. x.x
Fury

Post by Fury »

checkers wrote:
Well, SATS are important..aren't they? D: I'm stuck on what to pick for my GCSE's x.x and my teacher in maths seems full of himself, apparently every school he's taught hated him, but ended up loving him o_O;

Well.. I'm trying to try better this year, because year 8 actually had no tests in it, but Year 9-11 (My final Compulsary years) all have important things in them, and I'd like to do well. I need to pick a career and work for it. x.x
Well, SAT's are generally used to designate what group or set you may end up in Year 10. However, SAT scores become redundant straight after that and nobody ever remembers them - also, if you're bright and are recognised for this in class and do badly in your SAT scores, the teachers will realize that you deserve to be in a higher set anyway. :)

And try not to worry about your GCSE's yet - you've got a whole year to decide on them! :)
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I got a Level 7 in my Maths SATs, one mark off a Level 8, and remember being so gutted that I missed the Level 8 and thought it would be the end of me. I still managed to get an A* at GCSE and I'm halfway to an A at A Level, but I could slip to a B if it's too hard.

Then again a Level 7 was quite good anyway I think, but I will always remember that I was one mark off a Level 8. ^_~
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

I got all 6's in my sats, I didn't really try that hard =/
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

Just following this entire discussion has made me so glad that I don't have to do the British System. It sounds so confusing! :s

So yay: Collapse days in school so we had no classes today, and wont have any tomorrow or Friday. :D

Woe: Tomorrow and Friday will be boring. And I've been looking at undergraduate courses in at UoT and the course that sounds good is hard to get into. *headdesk*
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

Woe: today I bought textbooks
EofS

Post by EofS »

SATs are beyond worthless to the student in question. Our GCSE classes (set by ability) were decided before SAT results were published, and they only covered maths/English/science anyway so the setting for humanities and French (other subjects weren't set) couldn't have come from them even if they had been released in time.

That's not to say not to take them seriously, but they're really nothing to worry about. They're good practice for formal exams before you start your GCSE modules.
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

Achievement? I'm old enough to audition for Big Brother this year.. hm..
I doubt I actually will mind you, it would be interesting to see the process first hand though. I'll definitely be in the crowd though, and yes I will have an NC banner ;P

I don't know what I got in my SATs, they're irrelevant in the grand scheme of things though.

ooh! ooh! I'm quitting my job sooooooooooooooon, I'm giving my 2 weeks notice this Saturday, I shall no longer be a barista and become a broke student! =D

Woe: Britney's new song, if it is indeed her new song is horribly catchy.. I was gonna post a related icon but after that ...centaur thing from last year I changed my mind.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I'm supposed to be on a plane right now. But I felt too ill. So I'm not going anywhere.
Image Image
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

ladynight6 wrote:Just following this entire discussion has made me so glad that I don't have to do the British System. It sounds so confusing! :s
That's the English system, the Scottish one is a bit easier to remembe, tohough we do have something very similar to SATS from Primary 6 or so through to S2. They're only for figuring out what set level you're supposed to go into for your Standard Grades though and noone really stresses about them, unless you're a hopelessly high achiever who {apparently} needs to striaght 1's and As in order to get anywhere in life :|. That said, the system used in the rest of the UK makes my head spin since it sounds so needlessly complicated.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I photoblogged on Monday! It's an achievement because I get to attention whore it on here! http://madmug.livejournal.com/191216.html

Also, I finally have some photos of my roleplay buddies, and a good photo of Caramel Bear.

However, Mum saw the photo of Stuart and now wants me to smooch him. Argh. She wants nothing more than for me to have a smoochbuddy! Silly Mother!
---

Education:

Western Australia's pretty simple. You get to pick subjects from a list depending on your scores in previous subjects, then you do an exam for each of them. Using MATHEMATICS, they create a number which is your rank compared with everyone else, this is sent to the universities, you apply to all of them online, and then they pick whoever has the highest ranks for all their courses.

There's another system to university called TAFE, and for that they count the number of As Bs and Cs you score and give you points for each of them, and then accept you. Pretty simple!
EofS

Post by EofS »

Woe: Madge's photoblogging taunts me with pictures of varieties of Dairy Milk we can't get over here :0( I live about 35-40 miles from the birthplace of Cadbury yet their delights are kept from me! (When I went to cybercandy they were actually the thing I was most tempted by, except Skittles Littles, far more than any of the American or Japanese stuff. Ok, so that's partly because I can get the Japanese stuff at less insane prices elsewhere. But paying £1.40 for a 55g Dairy Milk bar is not going to happen. Hahaha no.)

Also, I've never really got what's so complicated about the English/Welsh/(NI? I think) system. I mean, I know when AS-Levels came in everything became supremely confusing for a while, and the intricacies of AS/A2 can only really be understood when you've lived through them... but it's not *that* hard surely. I find the US system far more confusing with all the prerequisites and having to get enough hours of particular subjects and such ;0)
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Yeah, I don't think the English system's too complicated - condensed, it goes something like this:
- SATS at age 14, in English, Maths and Science, used mainly for the government to see how the school's doing.
- GCSEs at age 16, in approximately ten subjects (some compulsory, some optional) which are official qualifications. They can get you a job (you are allowed to leave school once you've taken them) or help your university application.
- AS-levels at age 17, worth half an A-level and with approximately half the work of a full A-level. People take between three and six or so subjects. Most people who do these go on to take A-levels but technically you don't have to, and they're worth more than GCSEs. The main reason they exist is so that people can do a year's worth of work and have something to show at the end of it, and also to break the A-level in half neatly.
- A-levels at age 18. People take between two and six subjects, the same ones or fewer than at AS-levels (you can drop subjects after AS, but you can't take an A-level without getting an AS first). You basically need to do them to go to university because very few universities will accept people based on AS grades alone and none on GCSEs. You can also take them and go and get a job which is a bit higher-paying than the GCSE-only jobs (though usually also a bit below uni graduate jobs).

My school doesn't use the SATS to set people - instead, we were set in French, Maths and PE from year 7 onwards, and no other subjects after that.

I have a similar woe to Meghan - they're trying to bleed freshers dry! Additionally, I dislike speed-learning Biology.
Last edited by dandelions on 06 Sep 2007 02:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.