Petpet board rules.

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
checkers

Petpet board rules.

Post by checkers »

I think that the 25 non-spam post rule is stupid, noone seems to be getting help anymore, you can't post because of this, and there are hardly any boards for people to help because of this.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Well, yes- it was partly implemented in order to stop your parade of aliases. We didn't entirely expect it to please you.

Also, considering your recent posts in Petpets, I am disinclined to take your complaint seriously. You question whether or not other people have the right to make topics ("Why doesn't your "friend" make her own boards?"), backseat mod unhelpfully, and then get annoyed when told to follow the rules.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Notice how neither me, Jazzy nor Trick, suggest that Farseek not make a post for someone else. As long as we don't get complaints of random people harassing whoever's online to post for them, I don't have a problem with it. The petpet forum was starting to become the one stop shop for spam. Repeat after me, this is not the neoboards. People would make vague or overly broad match requests, with as few words and sentences as possible, then never return. There's no point in having people take time to find matches if the ones requesting them aren't even going to bother reading the thread again. Those same people are the ones we eventually have to chase down for not following the rules elsewhere and not reading private messages.
checkers

Post by checkers »

Notice how neither me, Jazzy nor Trick, suggest that Farseek not make a post for someone else. As long as we don't get complaints of random people harassing whoever's online to post for them, I don't have a problem with it.
Ah, but when I made a board for a Friend I recall it being deleted.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I can understand why the 25 non-spam rule was implemented, but part of the reason I began posting on the NeoColours forums was because I liked asking for and giving suggestions about petpets. Ok the people that post them may never come back, but their posts still add on to the search function if someone else wants a match for that pet.

I honestly don't mind making suggestions, in fact I enjoy them and seeing about three or four new topics a day didn't bother me, I find myself spending less time on this site now because I would have been matching. But it doesn't bother me enough to keep me from coming back.

I guess finding matches for pets and petpets appeals to me, but unfortunately not enough to make a series of petpages to do this as each species comes in many colours and the loading times of these pages would be phenomenal. I also lack the ability to make my own website like Madge attempted and I wouldn't try to tamper with her page is she gave it to me because I would like to use a different format to hers.

Oh well I guess it isn't that important, it just takes away that bit of extra fun I used to have.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Ah, but when I made a board for a Friend I recall it being deleted.
That's because at the time <i>you</i> weren't allowed to post topics, for persistent rule-breaking.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

To be honest, I USED to post a lot more on the petpet topic - giving matches and occasionally asking for them - until we WERE flooded with a ton of 'new people' who would ask for one match and then leave - and ignore all the matches given. It pretty much ruined the petpet board for me, and I avoided it unless it was about a new color that was released for a petpet I happened to like.

I love the new rule, and I know I'm not the only one.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Hmm..I don't like the fact that people would ask for suggestions and then leave, but the reason I signed up to these forums was to ask for suggestions but I decided to stay, maybe we could give those people a chance? I would have left but I decided to stay because I liked the other forums. I sent mail to the people who run NeoItems, AvvieLog, SunnyNeo and JellyNeo to see if they could implement a feature to their website that is very similar to what RainbowPool used to have. I doubt I will get any positive responses, but it;s worth a try.

I didn't ask anyone here because I already know that NC and PPC have no intention in setting up a matching section to their websites from old posts. I do think it would be a way to cut down posts and needing to search through to find help.

For those who aren't familiar with what was RainbowPool. What they had was a list of all the species and then you click on the right species and that led to a page of all the colours (using their 80x80 images in both cases) and then you click on the colour. Clicking on the colour led you to a page where they showed the normal sized image of the pet with petpets underneath that matched. All of these petpets were suggested by USERS of the site, not the person who set it up. If you thought there was another petpet that matched there was a form were you could select the pet and petpet from drop down lists and suggest it. I assume that this idea was sent to a moderator(s) of some sort who would decide if the suggestion was suitable or not and that would determine whether or not it would be added to the site.

I wouldn't mind being the person that accepts or rejects the matchings if this were to ever be added to PPC or NC as I would enjoy it I think. Adding an image to a page and accepting/rejecting is not something out of mine, or many peoples limits. Also the success/failure of the project depends on the users, not the people running the site so it doesn't reflect badly on them. All they do is set up the scripts (which is probably difficult)
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

It isn't so much the approval of matches, it's more the coding of the feature in the first place- I don't know how to do it, and am reluctant to divert the people who've said they might be able to help with php/mySQL to it, because without the pet database running, that's a bigger priority. I also suspect it depends heavily on the pet database in the first place, and possibly even a petpet database, which is something we aren't going to have.
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

I think it's perfectly fair, NC is a Neopets discussion forum not a petpet matching service.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Quite frankly, we could tell people to look for themselves. Really, we could. It's not as if we're giving weapons advice where there are actual practical issues involved, or stock market advice, or providing game guides, or anything else that isn't completely subjective. I used to like having it around because it used to be a nice alternative to the 'Hi. I'm new.' post. Everyone could see your pets, get a general idea as to what you were all about, and provide some context for other posts you might have made.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

adi_gallia wrote:
I didn't ask anyone here because I already know that NC and PPC have no intention in setting up a matching section to their websites from old posts. I do think it would be a way to cut down posts and needing to search through to find help.

I wouldn't mind being the person that accepts or rejects the matchings if this were to ever be added to PPC or NC as I would enjoy it I think.
Well, since Kamil has no intention of footing the bill for the extra bandwidth - it's never going to be happening here - so you can forget about it asap.

Frankly, if it were up to me alone, the entire petpet forum would be <strike>nuked from orbit</strike> deleted; it is waaay more trouble than it's worth these days.

BTW, Checkers, these complaints do not add to your post count, as this is spam, pure and simple.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Kamil wrote:Frankly, if it were up to me alone, the entire petpet forum would be <strike>nuked from orbit</strike> deleted; it is waaay more trouble than it's worth these days.
That's what I've been saying ever since that place was created but noooo, no one ever listens to Joey. :P
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Yeah, but just look at what happened when Neopets nuked General Chat :P
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

I'd appreciate it also if people would refrain from saying PPC certainly will/won't do this, particularly on a topic where I have given no direct answer. Obviously a fan site comes second for a full time programmer, coming home from doing that all day I think you're entitled to a break.

The only person I have had to deal with breaking the rules flagrantly on the Petpet board is checkers, the very person who caused these new rules to come about.

I used to love doing petpet matches, I'm not sure if anyone here remembers just how often I used to do it. But I see little point in matching for someone I a) don't know, b) doesn't plan to stick around, and c) is only here to get petpet matches - a little one sided for forum interaction in my opinion.

The 25 posts rules gives those who really want to hang around here the chance to get the petpet help they need and enjoy the forum. Those who think this is an extension of the neoboards can simply go back to those very boards.