Electric Shoyru

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

Well honestly there's nothing much else they could've done. Maybe glowing, camo or custard? I don't think they had the time for a revamp.
LΟL
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Two invisible pets in a row?

:|

A revamp would have been nice, but I wasn't honestly expecting one. This, though... yeesh. If I owned a Shoyru, I wouldn't be a happy player tonight. The electric color is meh-worthy at best, although rebelheart brings up a good point about a lack of colors to choose from.

Sparks in the battle pose(s) would have been nice, though.
Crystal Firefly

Post by Crystal Firefly »

The Shoyru isn't that bad enough for a revamp yet. It should get one but not before pets like the Scorchio. I think it really just needs the wings re-done.

I think the electric is quite nice, I like the effects around it's face. It's a good shade but the whole thing isn't nearly as awesome as some of the more recent electric pets.

I really do hope their artists get back on track though.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

I coulda sworn this already existed.

Other than that, no comment. Not outrageously unsightly, but not something I'd work my socks off for either.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

It's very blah. It isn't horrible but neither is it very creative. What seems more stupid is that they haven't even bothered to release the strawberry and sponge shoyrus which they made last year and failed to release. As for invisible, well, there aren't many colours the shoyru doesn't have so it would be hard to expect something incredibly new. Biscuit, I suppose, or camo or snot... I can't say the idea of any of those really thrills me.
Neopets wishlists: here
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. What ever happened to the days when it was possible to get at least three colourfills on a pet day? And an avatar? And five food items and some shopkeepers? And then this crap. No revamp, no repose. Just crap. I suppose the Shoyrus don't have that much to make left, but don't they still have Sponge and Strawberry on the servers? ARGH! And then people wonder why I'm on a leave from Neo.
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
gidget

Post by gidget »

Shoyrus got gypped.

Invisible should *never* be one of the only two colours given out on a pet day.

That just sucks for them.
Anna the Red

Post by Anna the Red »

Okay, this is just getting ridiculous. When was the last time a pet got something really cool for it's pet day? Invisible is such a cop out it's not funny, and Electric is just lazy. It's nice enough, but I would expect better for a pet day.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

The thing with Shoyrus, though, is that they already <i>have</i> all the good colours. Faerie, plushie, maraquan, darigan, tyrannian, royal, baby, pirate, grey, mutant, christmas, halloween, snow, robot- are there any redraws they don't have yet apart from Snot, which almost everyone here dislikes anyway? Shoyrus are not exactly being hard-done-by if they get two colourfills when there's only colourfills left to give them...
And it pisses me off that the artists get paid money for this.
Erm, are you seriously saying the artists should work for free? Please. Subeta's artists may work for payment in kind but the Neopets artists actually have to, you know, make a living from this. Being full-time workers and all.
Lura

Post by Lura »

dandelions wrote:
And it pisses me off that the artists get paid money for this.
Erm, are you seriously saying the artists should work for free? Please. Subeta's artists may work for payment in kind but the Neopets artists actually have to, you know, make a living from this. Being full-time workers and all.
I think they're saying that the artists get paid to do this, so there is no excuse for hastily drawn, sloppy art. Subeta art is a lot cleaner and more detailed. Neopets *should* have more advanced art simply because their artists are full-time workers.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

But Subeta artists have the freedom to put a lot more time into their work than a Neopets artist. If you work in your free time then you can choose how much time to spend on things, if you're working at work you don't. Neopets artists get told exactly what to draw and when and they have a lot more content to draw for, including flash games. I've no idea how much art they need but they must be drawing a fair amount for it. Subeta just isn't as graphics intensive. A Neopets artist is unlikely to spend their free time drawing for Neopets, but that's exactly what a Subeta artist does. I don't think there's a lot you can do about that because Neopets needs full time artists, and Subeta probably couldn't support a full time artist.
Neopets wishlists: here
Lura

Post by Lura »

I know, and I understand they have deadlines and a style they must conform to, but there is such a disparity in the quality of the artwork. Some of the shopkeepers are terrible, but some are so well done that they are nicer than the actual pets themselves. This goes for a lot on the site.

I wish that, because they are getting paid, the quality was consistently higher.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Part of the problem is that there's still a good chunk of art on the site which is older than the entirety of Subeta. Back in 2003, Sam had a colour comparison chart which had all the pets of the time and all the colours. Using the Wayback Machine, I looked at the version for the 9th of August 2003. Colours listed as "radical departures" are Baby, Island, Plushie, Faerie, Christmas, Mutant, Halloween, Desert, Robot, Tyrannian and Pirate. Of those colours, Shoyrus had every single one except Halloween and Christmas - and remember, this is in 2003. Subeta wasn't even founded until 2004. And the next thing to remember is that none of these colours have been revamped since 2003, so they all look <i>exactly</i> as they did then.

It's hardly an appropriate comparison to say that Subeta does it so why can't Neopets when you're comparing the Neopets of four years ago with the Subeta of today. And if you're going to say that this is a pet produced in 2007, so in theory it's just like Subeta's 2007 colourfills...not quite. The lineart dates all the way back to 2001, as near as I can tell. The only reasonable thing wrong with it is that it doesn't have the sparks some of the other Electric pets do.

Oh, and a final point - Subeta pets have one pose each, while Neopets have a minimum of nine poses each, rising to thirteen for the pets which can't just be flipped for their left and right BD poses (eg, Split). There's a reason for Neopets to keep artwork as straightforward as possible, so it can be successfully replicated between poses; Subeta doesn't need to.
EofS

Post by EofS »

I can't help but wonder if maybe a newer artist was given the electric shoyru to do whilst the body are working on something big and exciting in the works.

Sure, it's a bit disappointing to not have the sparks we've come to love, but leaving that aside (and ignoring that it's one of my least favourite pets on the site) I think it's very nice. The colours look nice, and I somehow see that shade of blue as more reptilian than the darker one often used.
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

Considering the number of invisibles we've gotten recently, I suspect something's going on with staffing. Either they're short staffed, or they've had to divert staff for some other mysterious purpose. Hopefully they'll be able to hire more staff, if necessary.

I don't think Shoyru's are really neglected, however. They have many fancy colours. There's so much to choose from for a shoyru owner.
If you're ever in doubt, throw a pepper in the air. If it fails to come down, you have gone mad, so don't trust in anything.
- Gregory Maguire, "Mirror, Mirror"
-----------------------------
On Neopets: yvonne_l_d
On Subeta: myshadowandme