Site redesign.

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

The code change didn't fix the problem, unfortunately. D:
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but it might be hard to get rid of, like the non-existing pets.

When I view all Maraquan pets, for example, in front of the Acara, or first alphabetical pet that can be painted that colour, there are two links that say "Maraquan" and "Maraquan All". The first one links to a dud page and the second is essentially like a refresh button.

Also, are you bringing back pet rating that used to be here? I enjoyed that for some reason, its the main reason I liked this site. If you are bringing it back, you could do a Subeta version too, if it's not too much of a problem.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

EofS wrote:Am I the only person seeing this very uneven spread? Or is it intentional and I'm just not seeing the logic. Either seems possible ;0)
I see it as well, and I think it's because the text for 'ranged attack' and 'close attack' are enough extra letters to knock the pet down to the next level. Since the close attack should be NEXT to range attack, it's just ending up on its own line.

Maybe a smaller font will help with that?
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

The display weirdness is because I had an extra <tr> tag where there shouldn't be one. Fixed.
I do so hate to keep mentioning things, because it makes me feel ungrateful, but I was looking though pet colors and when I'd click on, say, the yellow Aisha and I got red. I clicked on darigan and I got the non-existent custard - and it's doing the same thing with other species as well. It seems to fetch the poses to the left of the pet color you click on, whether they exist or not.
Ugh. Fixed now, using an awful php code which shouldn't work at all.
The code change didn't fix the problem, unfortunately. D:
Because I can't replicate it, I can't fix it. It's not something on my end, it's Safari's interpretation of CSS. If someone on my MSN contacts wants to help me walk through fixing it by telling me exactly what happens when I make a change I'll do it, but as you can understand it is very difficult to fix something when I can't make it a problem in the first place. I've made one last attempt at things I can do blindly- see if that's done anything.
Say I click to look at a yellow blumaroo in the happy pose - it still shows me ALL the poses.
It shows you the happy pose among them; this is too much extra coding to change.
1) Aesthetically I think it would look nicer if the pictures were in some sort of grid. Just pale grey lines or something. Break it up a bit.
I should not be allowed to do this, standards-wise. It ought to create a single row of pets with boxes around them.
2) Although I know you've explained why this is, I should probably raise it publicly anyway - the lack of colour/species names under the pictures is very confusing and makes it so the site is not too useful for people who don't already know Subeta (or Neopets for that matter) very well.
and I believe my explanation was "click and you'll find out", or mouseover (if anyone wants to tell me the difference between alt tags and title tags, this is not the time or the place). This is, again, a standards nightmare, and will produce the same single row of pets because I'll be forced to use table tags without a single new row tag.

I think the photos are ugly, too, so will not be bringing those back.

Please don't even mention pet rating to me. There is absolutely no way I am going to code it, not ever. The work involved is staggering because there is no database so nothing to attach the ratings to.

Perhaps I should say this in really big, bold letters:
<b>If it is not on my "unfinished" list, I am not going to create it without a very good reason. Full stop. I am an amateur coder with a considerable lack of spare time. If you don't know what that means, it means that after tomorrow coding is going to be very, very low on my list of priorities.</b>

The only thing I will consider doing that I have not yet is an example of one pet per subeta colour, so newbies know that, say, dusk is blue and field is green. If someone wants to do that, I need a list in this format:
http://www.example.com/dusk_whatever.gif
Dusk Whatever
http://www.example.com/field_something.gif
Field Something
http://www.example.com/reborn_pet.gif
Reborn Pet
and so on.

-----

Remaining:
- subeta experiments (tiel's handling, I think)
- unreleased neopets colours
- most recent neopets colours
- possibly subeta revamps (no idea how to go about that, see previous post of mine)
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

*poke* when is the beginning of voting and things for news posters? Or do you still want more applicants?

Also when do I get officially crowned as head news poster guy?
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

More applicants. Four is a little disappointing; it's barely a contest at all. In fact, if we did only have four applicants total I would probably make those four it by default still.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

You heard the nice lady, get on with your applications.
Madge

Post by Madge »

OK.... One or two things while I'm complaining...

Is it possible to have the current species/colour/pose as the default selection in the thing?

Like, when I'm viewing all the faerie pets in circle pose, if I want to view them in, say, sad poses, the "faerie" "all" "circle" would be the active options, so I'd just have to change "circle" to "sad" without having to reselect "faerie" and "all" ? That'd be really convenient =).

Also.... with the news posts, would we be forced to post a review for every single pet? I'm considering applying, but I know that if I'm busy I won't have times to review, so my reviews would be very sporadic. I don't want to apply if there's an obligation to post regularly, because goodness knows I'll be too lazy.

Also, will we know which people applied? You know, "Bob Shirley and Christie have applied. Poster #1 has these reviews, #2 has these reviews..." etc, because it will be pretty easy to figure out who is who as most of us have pretty distinctive styles.... So I propose the names of whoever applied remain secret, perhaps? Maybe?
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Is it possible to have the current species/colour/pose as the default selection in the thing?
I would prefer this, but I'm not sure how to do it. This is the sort of thing I know exactly how to do in HTML, but not in php.
with the news posts, would we be forced to post a review for every single pet?
No- ideally there would be an "official" review of every single pet, but not necessarily from every single news poster every time.

And the voting will be secret: "Applicant One wrote...", etc. Right now I have five proper apps and a sixth one which is incomplete and written under duress (though if the person's reading this, finish it :P).
Madge

Post by Madge »

My question regarding secrecy was more, will it be:

The applicants were Alan, Bob, and Christie. Applicant #1 wrote...

Or will it be:

There were three applicants. Applicant #1 wrote....

And you say it will be the second option, so yay for everyone! I think. Also I'm hungry. BOO :(

That said, I probably won't get around to applying because I know that the sample ones I write up won't be anything like the piles of lameness that I would end up presenting to everyone on the front page.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Yeah, definitely the second option. Also, I can't stop people saying "I applied" or "I'm going to apply" but they won't be allowed to say "I'm Applicant Three".
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

How long has the colour viewer been up again? I'm so out of the loop :X
anyway, I just tried viewing all circle poses of the blumaroo and it missed a lot of colours. Most of them, actually. It comes up with only 23 while there are 43 colours when it shows the happy poses. And it's missing random colours in between.
LΟL
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Since midnight Friday/Saturday, or the third page of this thread:
I just finished the Neopets pet viewer and it's on the index.
And it's fixed now.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I'm trying my best to get at least 10 applicants. If I haven't harassed you yet, prepare yourself, I'm coming after you soon.
Wysteria

Post by Wysteria »

On the note of Subeta images, pets on subeta are currently being hosted from http://75.126.139.58/images/pets/species_color.gif

Images hosted at http://www.subeta.org/images/pets/species_color.gif also show up currently.

I don't know how long that'll last, though, but that's what it is right now.

We currently try to pull images from http://images.subeta.org/pets/species_color.gif
Bless my whiskers. {Formerly Grey Cloud.}