New neopets layout

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Rainbow Daydreamer wrote:Is it messing up for anyone else?
All the time. If I briefly switch accounts, then come back to my main, it will list my side as being online for several minutes, often longer. Even when I log off the side and use the same browser (heck, same window) to enter my main.
All the homeless pets just vanished into thin air as if they weren't even there.
I actually think this is what's going to happen: they'll reset the pound to implement whatever the hell they're trying to add to the pound, and every pet that was stuck in it will be lost in turn.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I HOPE pets stuck in the pound will be deleted!

There are so many pound snipers after that Draik, it's not even funny.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Ack.

I take back a lot of what I've said in the past. If the appearance of your pets is as important to you guys as adoption and fostering is to me... well, I can see why you'd be upset.

I am, now, at the very thought of that, let alone the consideration that they might not let painted pets in any more (as someone on the HC suggested.) If TNT made it impossible to foster... I'd lose all sense of purpose.

Edit: I do mean purpose on Neo. I won't be jumping off M???len Bridge, although I might be flooding TNT's inbox.
Last edited by Rainbow Daydreamer on 15 May 2007 07:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

The Pound is down because it doesn't mix well with the Customisation system. As it was, right before the pound was closed, pounded pets took all their accessories with them. People were adopting these pets and taking all their clothes off, then pounding again. This means you get robot pets without casing, Royal pets which are just colourfills, etc. They can't ban the pounding of painted pets, but equally they can't allow people to strip the clothes. Finding a fair solution is not easy, and the pound is down in the meantime.

To quote the editorial, they do know about it and are working on it:
Hey guys! When are we going to be able to adopt from the Pound again? It's been down for maintenance for quite a while now. ~vons_dragonfly
Soon. :) Because of Customisation, we're having to change some things about how the Pound works, so we've had to close it for now. As soon as we're done, we'll put a note in New Features and you can start adopting again.
And I'm sure you could find another purpose in life? I mean, adoptions on Neopets are just that. Same with painting pets and all.
EofS

Post by EofS »

Rainbow Daydreamer wrote:I am, now, at the very thought of that, let alone the consideration that they might not let painted pets in any more (as someone on the HC suggested.) If TNT made it impossible to foster... I'd lose all sense of purpose.
Honestly right now I think it's probably a mixture of speculation and scaremongering. Do we have any info from TNT *at all* to suggest things like this will happen? Petpet mining was a problem, but that didn't stop you pounding a pet with petpet because doing so would force you to 'irreversibly' change the pet. If you're transferring a pet with a battle set it doesn't matter if you need to strip the weapons and transfer them manually, you can reattach and nothing has changed. But having to detach a petpet (or paint it a plain colour) cannot be undone once it reaches the new account.

So yeah, I think it's probably best to not worry about it and how it will affect you until it actually happens.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

EofS wrote:Do we have any info from TNT *at all* to suggest things like this will happen?
Did TNT warn us that the customization system was coming? Apart from the brief beta testing that made many people assume it would be optional, no, they didn't.

I don't think they're going to remove the pound, and I imagine once they come up with a solution, people will be able to transfer and adopt out their pets again. But from my recent experience with TNT, I wouldn't attempt to claim that they actually tell us their plans or allow us any time to give them feedback for the bigger changes. So while I think it's too early to start worrying about some of these things, I also wouldn't say that the worries are unfounded.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I'm willing to bet that whatever else they do or don't do, one of the things that they are changing is to ensure that old skool colors that go through the pound come out<strike> all fucked up</strike> with the new 'art'.

I'm just boggling at the utter lack of foresight. Did clothes mining/old skool pet selling, etc. honestly never occur to them when they were coding this up? Apparently not, or they would have already had the pound doing whatever it is they're doing now when they set it live.

If they would've simply made this entire auto-conversion mess optional so very much hatred and bad feelings could've been avoided.

And I'm not buying the 'it would've been too much work, oh noes!, for the poor ickle artists!!' routine. How does a flash pose in the new style and one normal happy pose in the old style = more work than the normal 9 pose art old style pets had? Because I can't imagine many people would've raged too loudly over the loss of the other poses if they were told was either give up the other poses or give up the redrawn pet entirely.

We should have had a choice. For the old pets and for any new ones going forward as well.

In good news, the clothes-taking-off thing is working again, so my poor Shoyru is no longer clutching double pitchforks. Sadly, I couldn't do anything about the huge honking Tammy Faye eyelashes. x.x
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

What really boggles me is the fact that they released this new clothing system with NO FUNCTIONING CLOTHING. Then they say, "Have fun playing with the system for a while before you get upset." Playing with WHAT?

At the moment, the pattern seems to be that, each species will be getting one outfit once a year on its species day (though I don't think any of them work yet). At that rate it will be, well, never before pets have a big enough wardrobe built up to make this really fun even for the people who would enjoy it.

I mean, seriously. All other complaints aside, who the hell releases a huge new clothing feature (pissing off large numbers of its serious players in the process) without ANY BLEEPING CLOTHES? It just boggles the mind.

We complain all the time when Subeta releases one or two items of clothing that don't work yet (and about the old items of clothing that still don't work) but Neopets could have learned a lot from their wardrobe feature. First lesson: a clothing system requires actual clothes.
Rainbow Daydreamer

The Coming Soon page does list "Plenty of Things to Wear" last time I looked, so it's safe to say clothes won't JUST be for pet days. Perhaps they wanted to get all the shock and mail about the revamp over with before having to deal with bug reports about sweaters with one sleeve and bracelets that try to attach to Neopets' tails.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I pretty much agree with everything thats already been said.. Also, while they may claim 'plenty of things to wear soon', the scale of it all ie 54 differently posed species, I just think the scale of it all is a bit bleh.

But I agree, releasing the feature whilst in the process pissing off just about everyone, when the feature is at the moment pretty much redundant.. makes you wonder really..

what i was thinking about to prevent clothes mining.. What if instead of having to 'collect' all the items of clothing, you could 'unlock' them. Like, say you get a desert pet, that unlocks in your wardrobe those clothes, so even if your desert pet is adopted out, it can go with its clothes while you get to have them too.. they cant be sold or anything so does it really matter all that much?

also, I would say that the coming soon page isnt always reliable. I seem to remember 'more stuff for kreludor' being there for over a year, without any kreludor stuff in sight..
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

The only clothing item who was released for all/most pets was the Edna hat, I think
pohatufan1

Post by pohatufan1 »

Can it be? Is Neopets going to revoke the tiny Neopet images and clothing feature? Why else would they make the new Desert and Checkered Moehogs in the traditional style?
Rainbow Daydreamer

What exactly have they done "traditionally"? No circle poses, no teeth showing, and no redraw for Desert. I fail to see any connection to 1.0.
pohatufan1

Post by pohatufan1 »

...They're not miniscule?
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

Maybe they just forgot to resize. This is TNT we're talking about here. They'd forget they had a website if it weren't for the head honchos dangling their moneys over their heads.
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(