Subeta-only board?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

I think that Subeta topics should:

stay in Offsite Games, along with Pokemon/MS/WoW etc (ie, as now)
1%
be given their own Subeta board, with Pokemon/MS/WoW kept in a "Games" forum
85%
be given their own Subeta board, with Pokemon/MS/WoW put back in Chit-Chat
11%
be given multiple boards (say what in replies), with Pokemon/MS/WoW kept in a "Games" forum
3%
be given multiple boards (say what in replies), with Pokemon/MS/WoW put back in Chit-Chat
No votes

Total votes: 72

dandelions
Lily Was Here

Subeta-only board?

Post by dandelions »

What the poll says. Subeta is sufficiently popular that it could be given its own forum and be moved out of Offsite Games; the original argument against it was that people had tried it before and quit quickly so it couldn't really have its own board in case that happens again, but since it's been so popular here for quite a while now I am willing to give it its own board.

Note that I don't plan to give Subeta multiple boards for now (ie, I didn't plan for a "Subeta misc", "Subeta AaToW", "Subeta New Colours" etc) but again, if people can convince me, I'm willing to consider it. My main objection is that I can't actually see a clear divide to put in- not enough people play, say, the Subeta BD, new colours are relatively infrequent, and the minion matching thread sort of died, which is pretty much the point of Petpets for the most part.

Opinions?
FourEyes

Post by FourEyes »

I voted for the second option. Because... Um... I feel it's the right thing to do. o.o;;
...Oops. *searching for a smaller sig*
Phlizz

Post by Phlizz »

I went for the second option; if Games became deserted after a few weeks of no Subeta-related posts, then the games stuff could always be integrated back into Chit-Chat. But I think without the Games forum being totally swamped with Subeta stuff, it might actually have the chance to become more varied and active in other things. E.g. I've noticed one Maple Story thread which is 40-odd pages long; I don't actually read it but I suspect at that length it would benefit more from the chance to spread itself out into several different topics rather than trying to cram everything into one. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd feel slightly discouraged from posting any new games-related stuff, knowing that with the vast number of Subeta threads it would probably just get pushed down off the page within a few days.

I don't think Subeta's quite big enough here yet to warrant more than one forum of its own; but we do seem to be attracting more new members who are interested primarily or even solely in Subeta stuff, and (with subetadb currently down) I've seen Neocolours advertised on Subeta's own forums as a place to come to look at pet colours so we might attract still more new members for it in the future, and then maybe it would be time to reconsider whether it deserved more than one forum.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Frankly, as a non-Subetan, I'd love it to be put in a single members-only board as is Werewolf. We used to have a wonderful feature that moved all the Neopets posts to the top of the new post list and the Subeta ones to the bottom; in the absence of that, a hidden Subeta board would be terrific.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I voted for the second option and was actually thinking of bringing this idea up last night (when someone asked for a non-subeta thread to be stickied so it wouldn't get lost in the mess of subeta stuff).

I don't think there need to be a bunch of separate subeta boards at this point; that's certainly something that can be determined later on down the line. But I do think it would be helpful for the Offsite Games to have a little more breathing room for things that are not related to subeta.

EDIT: I definitely don't like the hidden of having a hidden subeta board. I imagine some people are finding us because of subeta rather than neopets now, and I don't want to alienate new members by hiding a board away.
Last edited by bonecrivain on 30 Apr 2007 07:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wysteria

Post by Wysteria »

I voted to give Subeta its own board and move the Offsite Games stuff back into Chit-Chat because I feel like the Subeta boards are the only ones that reliably stay active in Offsite Games. Stuff like Pokemon or Maplestory or WoW will be discussed for a few weeks and then not talked about for months, leaving the forum silent. It doesn't seem like a sensible allocation of space. (For that matter, the Games forum doesn't seem like a sensible allocation of space to me. One active topic in the last month, and before that three threads of werewolf signups? I don't feel like that really deserves its own space.)
Bless my whiskers. {Formerly Grey Cloud.}
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

It seems logical that forum games and games could be merged based on title, though content-wise I'm not so sure. That would solve the problem of inactivity. I don't plan to get rid of Forum Games, however, because of the reason it was made in the first place: to stop the "what's your favourite ___", "say something about the person above you" etc posts in Chit-Chat.

I definitely would not hide the subeta forums after all the work I did on Subetocolours, though I am still considering that mod which would make all users able to opt out individually of seeing a single forum (ie, by default it's visible).
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I was getting ready to loudly proclaim, "No hiding!" but then I saw that you've already decided on that anyway - so, yeah, second option (for the moment, anyway), please. =D
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I voted for option two. Not to be mean about this, but Wysteria is wrong about threads being discussed for a few weeks and then left silent. The MapleStory thread alone has been steadily active since October. And as Phlizz said, it could use some branching out. That thing is unwieldy. Pokemon's pretty hot right now too, what with the Wifi trading and battling, and I think it will be even moreso as more people beat the game and get access to Pal Park.
Wysteria

Post by Wysteria »

I don't read the Maplestory thread myself, so I am completely apt to be wrong about it - it just seemed that I wouldn't notice it for a few weeks and then there it would be again. Mea culpa.
Bless my whiskers. {Formerly Grey Cloud.}
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I'm with the majority here, I went with option two, it just seems the most logical.

Pokemon/MS/WoW seem best suited to a games forum rather than Chit-Chat and Subeta doesn't need as many boards as Neopets because I think that if all the current subeta topics were split into the same categories as Neopets the posts would be thin on the ground. An adoption board isn't needed either, along with New Colours, Misc. and AaToW like Jazzy said.

So Subeta can live with one board, unless the fanbase gets much bigger and/or the sP gets harder to earn. (I think this is mainly what it boils down to. Pets easy to earn. Not as many people for AaToW etc.)

edit: 89% [ 35 ]

10% [ 4 ]
good old poll math xD
Sagrei

Post by Sagrei »

Another vote for option two, with stickies for things like achievements/woes, adoptions, and the like. Seems the most logical thing for now.

And I'll throw in another vote for not hiding it, since it was on all of your glowing recommendations that I got involved in Subeta in the first place.