NC....Chatroom?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

Should there be an NC chatroom for us users?

omg yes plz olol!
58%
.....No.
42%

Total votes: 38

Usul_Princess

NC....Chatroom?

Post by Usul_Princess »

Please don't hack me to bits for this suggestion, I just think that for a forum as tight-knit and chatty as we are, that a room wouldn't be a bad idea. Remind you, I have absolutely no idea what goes into creating/moderating one, and maybe in the end it's too much trouble, but I thought maybe, just maybe others were thinking the same as well.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Hmm, it could be rather fun I think. I don't know much about creating chatrooms either, but I don't think it's a bad idea.
Image Image
checkers

Post by checkers »

I thought this was a chatroom!? o__o;;
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

No, this is a forum. A chatroom as in a real-time chat.
Image Image
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Well, I'm not sure there are people online often enough - usually it's just a few, occasionally up to seven or so. Wouldn't it just be dead silence most of the time?

I don't think it would hurt to try, but I don't expect it to be very successful.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Could be a good thing, if it's possible. I can't see it being active too often, but at least it would be there if we wanted to use it and if it isn't that active, keeping it moderated wouldn't be too much of a big job.

But, I don't know how possible it is, but if there were one it wouldn't be something I would be against.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I think, think, mind, that I have some manner of a chat room available with my site stuff. If someone smarter than me (Jazzy, I'm looking at you =) would like to look over the control panel and see, there might be something already there.

Maybe. >.>
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

hm, I'm perfectly happy with MSN but this might be fun for those who aren't involved in that.
EofS

Post by EofS »

I did set up an irc room for NC a while ago, but then it got forgotten about and I never even brought it up on the board. Oops.

Erm, yeah. I'm not in a position to look at it again right now, but might be in June.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Well, there's usually a couple people on MSN chatting together, and creating an irc channel is so easy even I can do it. I think the reason we chose not to have one in the past was to keep people posting here and not just in a chat room. They're really quite different though, so I personally wouldn't care much if there were an official one now.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Well, I had a look at the pre-installed chat and didn't like it (it didn't integrate well with phpbb) so I've installed a phpbb chatroom. Let me know what you think. It's linked in the header.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

.....I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! Someone was listening to my suggestion and it actually went through! I feel so special! *sniff* Needless to say I like the addition :)
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

You know, if we're going down the IRC chatroom route (Which is what you've got there Jazzy, just in a Java applet - I think it would be better to have one with a more related channel name / maybe on the neocolours domain, so people can use better IRC clients and not be forced through the java applet. Also we get better control over registering users, channel mods, and so on.

I'm fairly sure I can volunteer a *nix server to run an IRCd for this if people want that? All it would need is a subdomain of neocolours.me.uk pointing at my server, and then I would get the IRCd up and running.

Or if people aren't keen on that, I'd still rather see a properly named channel on some server. In either case, I would be amazed if you can't provide the parameters to the java applet to allow people to still connect that way.
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
Arktus

Post by Arktus »

I joined with an IRC client yesterday and today... I mean, the chat page DOES say exactly where it is.
I'm <a href="http://www.neopets.com/userlookup.phtml ... >Arktus</a> on Neopets, not that I go there much anymore. I also have a Subeta account (<a href="http://www.subeta.org/users/Arktus">Arktus</a> there, too).
anzuronamin

Post by anzuronamin »

I stepped in for a minute, but I couldn't type anything... not sure what that's about.

But I do like the chat feature. I've seen it on other forums. Nice work :)