For great justice, part 2

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Yeah, I'm astounded that pets #2 and #5 in the top 10 of non-redraws are nuclear. Not a fan at all.

Progress on displaying results: the queries are all built, I'm just trying to make them look nicer :) And Aqua: don't be so quick to write off your Illumis.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Are experiments eventually going to be added to the project?

Heh, this is great fun. It's hard going past pets while thinking they're adorable, though. I seem to have a very soft spot for Popokos. Each one melts my heart.
Subeta: Thomas
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Here's the results page:
http://www.neocolours.me.uk/subeta/subetaresults.php
One interesting thing to note is that because it's dynamically generated, not static, if you go back to the page later the order's often swapped. The reborn demi and angelic donadak swap places fairly frequently, though as more people vote this effect will be lessened.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Ooh interesting, since when was the Pherret all that popular? It's tenth right now, but I would expect perhaps the Kerubi or Celinox to have that spot.

With the top 10 pets we can now see what the perfect Neocolours account would be, I'm surprised a Scribble pet is there, for now.

I can imagine that FMD will be quite pleased to see that her first species revamp is our favourite species as a whole. Although I don't think...well I don't know many of the bottom tens artists, only Rah for Mallarchy, they're all so out of date I wouldn't be surprised if most of the artists are gone.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Just one problem, Jazzy, the Top Ten Species thing is off. "Pherret" (the current last slot) links to all the colors of the Pherret, but the rest link to the chibi version of that pet. Hopefully that won't be too hard to fix.

Very interesting results. Also wouldn't have expected a scribble in the top 10, except maybe the Mortiking. And demis are suprisingly popular, I thought that revamp was mostly a flop?

Great work overall Jazzy. =D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

thelonetiel wrote:Also wouldn't have expected a scribble in the top 10, except maybe the Mortiking.
I'm probably partly to blame. I accidentally voted that one as a 3, when I meant to vote 5. I selected 5--by which I mean I clicked too far to the side and highlighted it as text, instead of clicking on the radio button. I felt chagrined.

Also, I don't think that some people realize that he's burninating all the villagers, so they don't vote high enough. ;P
Image Image
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I've voted for all pets now! :)

I voted 5 for the scribble mortiking! He's awesome. I also voted the pherrets pretty high, as I find their common pose cute, and the celinox low, as their faces just bother me for some reason. I was also surprised by how many dilemma colors I liked, and bovyne colors, too -- I'd never paid much attention to those species.

I had a LOT of 1s and 2s, though, and a lot of 3s. I had very few 5s. The pets I love, I really love, but I'm pretty indifferent to, or downright hate, most of the pets on the site. I think that will change once they're all updated -- the terracoon, for example, has such potential, and so do the paralix and keeto, and maybe the aerie (I accidentally voted the cream aerie a 3, I think... it should be a 1; they're awful).

Finally, the kanis, ruffie and devonti should all be put out of their misery. I kept wishing I could rate them a 0.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

Wow, those results are pretty interesting. I expected the Scribble Demi to be in the top ten. And I'm surprised the Angelic Darkonite isn't higher on the list, too.

I have a question, though. When a pet is revamped, will our votes for that species be reset so we can vote on the new versions? Thought I'd ask, seeing as the Velosotor is going to be revamped soon.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

You've rated every pet!

Now leave me alone for the next week so I can go back to sleep.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Slugawoo, that was asked on the first page.
Jazzy wrote:Depends. I did plan to do this, but I'd forgotten one aspect of how I'm collecting the votes, which makes it an awful lot harder.
Image Image
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

Very interesting stuff, I'm surprised that people think the worst pet on the site is the Chibi Feli, I mean, it's nothing to write home about but it's not exactly as bad as some of the other pets, in fact, I'm rather surprised at how badly Chibi did in general, but it's interesting to see what others think. it's nice to see that the Legeica is becoming very popular, I'm rather fond of them too, I have a Cream one, i think they're gorgeous ^^

Either way, I'm really glad you've done this, it's opened my eyes to a lot of pets i never really noticed before, especially Bovynes, there are a lot of nice Bovyne colours I've noticed thanks to this, I may just have to get one ^^
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Oh I didn't notice the results page. I think all that clicking messed with my head. I voted mostly 3's for the pherret. I love the pet itself, but I'm not fond of the way it's colored. On the other hand, I don't care much for the kerubi, but I love the way it's colored. I think I gave the escalde mostly 3's because I've never liked the smooth bump for a muzzle/nose/mouth on any pet. I'm kind of surprised by how much I like the telenine. It's very solid overall, but I suppose I'm just not into fantasy dog pets.
FourEyes

Post by FourEyes »

...Ohmy. I still need to start rating them.

*dives into the sea of pets* If I'm not back by the end of the day... *shot*
...Oops. *searching for a smaller sig*
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Since a few people are asking, this is why revamps are a pain in the neck.

When you submit a rating to the database, it does several things:
- it tells the database that you have voted for pet #n, because before that the database knows you haven't
- it increases your personal tally of votes by 1 (you might have 5 votes so far, you'll now have 6)
- it updates a few things on the pet's actual record - total score, number of votes, average score.

The last is not a problem when a pet is revamped - all you have to do is set the score, total number of votes and average back to zero for all affected pets. The first one is also fairly straightforward - you just set the affected columns back to n again. The second point, however, is more difficult. What you have to do is count up the number of "y" within the species that's been revamped, and subtract that from each person's individual total.

With everyone's total number of votes, once they've submitted 1091 votes, or however many pets there are in the database, they cannot vote on any more pets, and the "you have rated every pet!" message comes up. The page does <i>not</i> count up how many pets you've actually rated, because this is really difficult for the database. Instead, every time you vote it simply adds one to a tally. This means that if you set 30 pets in the database to "n" without lowering the user's vote count, the user will be told they've voted on every pet, but there will actually be 30 pets they just didn't rate. And if the user's voted on every pet and 30 votes are reset, they still won't be allowed to vote on the new ones, because the db will think that they've voted on all 1091 pets already.

There are therefore two possible options:
- you can take 30 votes off everyone's tallies, because this is easy to do
- you can work out how many of the revamped pets every user has voted on, then take that off their tally.
Option 1 will result in some people having negative tallies. Option 2 is better, but it involves a lot of calculations - for each user, it needs to count up the number of ys in the columns which correspond to revamped pets and then take that away from the user's total. And, of course, it must be done before all those columns are set back to n, because if you then search for ys they'll all be gone.

</explanation>

Experiments are not going to be added, because they're currently not in the database. If they ever are added to the db, however, they will automatically be in the rating system.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

"You've rated every pet!"

Phew, finally, I love this, I really love this, I am so tempted to make the ultimate account using the top 10 pets in any colour, I probably would, but unfortunately there are one or two in the top 10 I don't like, so I'll just stick with my previous plans. It's really interesting to see what others think though, Chibi pets seem to be really unpopular, but I kind of like them ^^