Logins and Logouts

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Logins and Logouts

Post by Wingsrising »

I don't know if y'all have noticed, but at the moment Neopets logs you out every time you log in on a different computer: ie, when I login to Neopets at work it logs me out at home, and vice verse.

Shapu on PPT has posted that this is because login cookies are now tied to IP address, so you need to re-login every time your IP address changes (which means every time you reconnect for people who don't have static IPs).

I assume (unverified assumption) that this is being done as an anti-cookie-grabbing measure, since I think it makes cookie-grabbing virtually impossible. It's annoying as hell, but I suppose if it makes the site more secure I can live with it (not that I have a choice).
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

I reconnect several times a day and I haven't noticed anything. I've heard IE users are constantly getting logged out though, and I've had to relogin in IE, too, which I don't usually use but have to stay logged in to use my neodaq.xls

I don't think they should IP-bind cookies if that's what they're trying to do, too many people are on dial-up, and get logged out after certain time periods of inactivity. It would make playing flash games that take longer to complete virtually impossible.
LΟL
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

I use Firefox and this has been happening to me, so it's definitely not just IE.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Are you sure about cookies being bound to IP? My IP changes a lot (for example, I had two different IPs yesterday) and I haven't had to log in again yet on any of my accounts (IE for my main, Opera and Firefox for sides). Deviantart, for example, logs you out if you log in on another computer, but their cookies aren't bound to IP.

If you're being logged out randomly, wingsrising, it's a glitch- your IP is very static.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

JellyNeo made a news post about this and I think it would be good if it did what it's supposed to. I made a board about this and was logged on/off three times in an hour. I changed my PW so I don't know what happened.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Hmm. I don't know what to say, then. It's not the least bit random: I have to log on once when I get to work (yeah, yeah, goofing off at work, etc.) and then once again when I get home. So logging in at work logs me out at home and vice versa.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

:| Did you even check JellyNeo to see what I was talking about? Well, JellyNeo says that there is a new thing that logs you off when you change PC. Like exactly how your situation is with the logging in at work logging you out at home and vice versa.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

adi_gallia wrote::| Did you even check JellyNeo to see what I was talking about? Well, JellyNeo says that there is a new thing that logs you off when you change PC. Like exactly how your situation is with the logging in at work logging you out at home and vice versa.
I already read the quote from Jelly Neo on PPT, and like I said, it describes what's happening to me exactly.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Wingsrising wrote:I already read the quote from Jelly Neo on PPT, and like I said, it describes what's happening to me exactly.
Oh, oops. Well if your problem fits what it says then uhh what is the point of this board, awareness?
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Well, this is a New Features board and it's a New Feature. If i thought it was a glitch I would have put it in Misc. :-)
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

I think it's an interesting point - thank you for bringing it up, Wingsrising :)
ulyyf

Post by ulyyf »

adi_gallia wrote:
Wingsrising wrote:I already read the quote from Jelly Neo on PPT, and like I said, it describes what's happening to me exactly.
Oh, oops. Well if your problem fits what it says then uhh what is the point of this board, awareness?
Probably. Not everybody visits JellyNeo or PPT. I don't. I would have been completely taken by surprise without this board here to inform me.
Independent thought, independent dreams, independent lives. It's a thing worth dying for.
bluesoccercat

Post by bluesoccercat »

Well I like being logged off every time you change computers. Sometimes I'll log in in the lab at school and forget to log off, but I can always clear myself out of other computers by logging out on my home and then in again.

However, if you're getting logged out of your account multiple times a night while using the same computer and you use Firefox, you could try clearing your cookies. My FF will do that to me if it's been a month or two and I have a lot of cookies...I think it just gets confused :)
phoebemittens

Post by phoebemittens »

It's actually been useful for me (since I worked out what was happening). I occasionally leave my home computer logged in on a side account by mistake, but when I check my stocks at work I always log into my main.

Previously I would come home, open neo and get 1/2 way through my dailies before realising I'm on a side account, and panic about freezing. Now I know I'm on my main because I have to re-log in every evening.